Finn Church Aid (FCA)
Job Title: Education Advisor–Juba, South Sudan
Finn Church Aid (FCA) is Finland’s largest organisation for development cooperation and second largest provider of humanitarian assistance. FCA is a founding member of the international aid alliance of churches, ACT Alliance. We seek positive change by supporting the most vulnerable people in fragile contexts. We specialize in supporting local communities’ right to peace, livelihoods and quality education.
FCA’s South Sudan country programme focuses on resilience within Internally Displaced People (IDP) communities who are slowly integrating into host communities but still struggling to meet their basic needs. FCA concentrates on building community resilience towards food security and livelihoods. The country programme also aims to enhance TVET for youth employment. The focus is also on Education in Emergencies (EiE) and building the capacity of teachers and other key partners to deliver quality education. Special emphasis is placed on girls’ education as well as linking education with child protection. Under right to peace, the country programme focuses on conflict transformation and peacebuilding on community and national levels, working with traditional and religious leaders and youth as key agents of peace.
Responsibilities: The Education Advisor will provide technical expertise to the strategic planning of Right to Education in SSUCO (e.g. writing annual plan, participating in developing FCA’s R2E thematic strategy, linking SSUCO’s education program with R2E global impact plans and grow long-term education programs). She/he will be FCA South Sudan main R2E interlocutor for local and international actors in this sector. The Education Adviser will also be primarily responsible for the implementation of EU funded TVET (Technical and Vocational Education and Training) project. She/He will be based in Juba and report to South Sudan Country Director. Also her/his main duties include:
- Lead the implementation and the quality assurance of the EU funded TVET Project. This inludes managing the project staff, budget and ensuring operational support for the EU-TVET project.
- Lead the various consultants who will be recruited to carry out consultancies such as curriculum development consultancy
- Provide support and technical advice for the co-implementing partner(s), including the preparation of narrative and financial reports
- Provide on-going thematic support and advice for FCA staff, partners and other stakeholders’ staff in implementing project activities
- Develop a strategy for increased involvement of FCA in improving the quality of education in South Sudan
- Develop the long-term education program of FCA South Sudan in collaboration with the program coordinator and technical advisors in the region and head office
- Write project proposals in cooperation with the other program staff and Finance unit and Global Grants department in Head Office to raise funding for the country office’s education proposals
- Attend coordination meetings and represent FCA in order to connect with the other actors of the Education Sector development in the country
- Advocate SSUCO’s long term education development goals and plans to possible donors
- In collaboration with the Program Coordinator and the CD, the Education Advisor will be responsible for partnership management in SSUCO office
- Liaise with relevant government institutions and professional associations
- Mainstream CHS within development education projects
- At least a Masters degree in social/political sciences, educational sciences and other relevant field of studies.
- Proven experience and skills in managing vocational training projects
- Minimum 4 year’s experience in education projects management and sector development at a strategic level
- Knowledge of conflict sensitive environment, in addition to understanding ethno-political conflicts
- Understanding of diverse cultural/ethnic context of South Sudan, most importantly cultural sensitivity
- Experience with data collection, management, analysis and report production
- Strategic thinker and good context analysis skills
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office package
- Strong English writing skills to prepare reports, promotional materials and oral presentations
- Strong capacity to live in an insecure environment where the security situation severely restricts free movement
The contract duration is for one year starting as soon as possible with possible extension, preferably in September or October 2018, including four months’ probation period. The compensation is based on FCA Compensation System and depends on prior work experience. The position is a no-family post.
To apply for this job please visit fca.rekrytointi.com.