Save the Children
The Associate Vice President for Education and Child Protection will provide leadership for Save the Children US’s (SCUS) work in Education and Child Protection – two of the three global breakthroughs for Save the Children globally. This person will set strategic direction, grow our global market position, and promote technical quality standards and delivery of results. They are expected to represent Save the Children and develop key external partnerships with Save the Children members and Save the Children International, public and private donors, universities, policy makers, and other implementing partners, to advance and expand our impact for children. Through advocacy and the adoption of quality standards, the role provides guidance to the Education and Protection Global Breakthroughs to ensure that Save the Children is an established leader in these areas.
The AVP of Education and Child Protection will oversee the Education and Child Protection Business team, ensuring cross-sectoral support for the fundraising, implementation and the delivery of the strategy for a portfolio of program activities of approximately $300 million. From a departmental standpoint, this person will supervise, grow talent, and integrate the work of approximately 75 staff focused on education and child protection work in development and humanitarian settings. They directly manage the senior directors of 6 units: Early Childhood Education, Basic Education, School Health Nutrition, Child Protection, Program Development and Management, and Education and Learning Research. This person should prioritize and foster a professional culture that celebrates and promotes diversity in all forms.
Lastly, this person will be the leader in strategizing for and delivering on SCUS’s account strategy for education and protection work, especially with the US government. They will grow the SCUS portfolio financially as well as in terms of quality of the programming and provide leadership and accountability for the overall program goals of SCUS and the International Programs division senior management.
What You’ll Be Doing (Essential Duties)
· Global Program Strategy and Market Position (15%)
o Set vision and goals in education and child protection work engaging country offices, Save the Children International, other global members of the Save the Children network and the technical work of the Global Breakthroughs.
o Develop and guide the implementation of multi-year strategic and annual operational plans to achieve agency objectives and to expand our reach to children, collaborating with other members to ensure complementarity and collaboration.
o Represent Save the Children with the US government and key internal and external partners in the education and child protection communities
· Technical leadership and quality programming (10%)
o Provide leadership to develop evidence-based programming to be used throughout Save the Children in delivering results for children and ensure that priorities and metrics for measuring progress on the SCUS and Global education and child protection strategies are in place
o Shape and implement strategies to ensure that Save the Children develops, maintains and grows technical capacity in education and child protection programming
o Ensure that SCUS provides guidance and support to country offices both on individual opportunities and awards and on their strategic planning and execution
· Program learning and innovation (10%)
o Identify, prioritize and oversee development of opportunities to test and evaluate new or improved approaches to advancing education and child protection program priorities with special attention to developing common approaches and assisting the global Save the Children to successfully utilize these approaches
o Guide efforts in Knowledge Management and ensure that DECP’s work leverages the research
o Support the broader organization to improve the research design, standards, and analysis with special focus on building these capacities in the program countries
· Resource Mobilization (40%)
o Develop and deliver on a resource mobilization plan for public funding streams, including the US government, with special attention on USAID, PEPFAR OVC and USDA and multilateral donors such as the GPE and ECW
o Develop and deliver on a resource mobilization plan for private funding streams including foundations, corporates, and individuals
o Set and achieve aggressive new raise targets for both education and child protection
· Program Oversight and Management (10%)
o Identify and ensure that the needed management resources for the DECP portfolio are in place to guide and support country level program implementation
o Problem solve with senior SCI partners when implementation challenges arise
o Work to build the capacity of the SCI country offices to deliver strong education and child protection programs
· Staff management (15%)
o Lead in the establishment of a universal culture of dignity and respect among DECP staff that promotes the recruitment, retention, and management of a diverse staff in a safe and empowering environment
o Manage the following direct reports
§ Senior Director for Program Development and Management
§ Senior Director for Early Childhood Development
§ Senior Director for Basic Education
§ Senior Director for School Health and Nutrition
§ Senior Director for Child Protection
§ Senior Director for Education Research
§ Oversee a team of 75 based in Washington DC and remotely all over the world
o Oversee a group of approximately 10 Chiefs of Party managing large programs around the world
· 15+ years of progressively senior leadership positions in education and or child protection field spanning program and policy work on a global level
· BA Degree in relevant field
· Significant developing country experience, preferably managing large scale programs and portfolios
· Established networks and familiarity with technical and donor community especially USAID
· Ability to travel at least 25% of the time
· Recognized leadership in the education and or child protection sector and the ability to effectively represent organizational priorities and interests.
· Broad knowledge of international development with specialized knowledge of education and or child protection
· Proven track record mobilizing significant resources
· Ability to create and build large scale strategies
· Experience leading large teams through change – and demonstrated ability to innovate
· Strong interpersonal skills, ability to work across boundaries and to lead by influence
· Ability to identify, attract, and develop high-caliber staff, foster and build effective teams and a positive work culture
· Ability to work and think globally and develop diverse relationships with colleagues and counterparts
· Proven ability to expand and diversify a portfolio
· Demonstrates SC core values of accountability, commitment, excellence, innovation, and teamwork
· Graduate degree in a relevant discipline
What’s In It for You
· Meaningful work, with a knowledge that you are changing the lives of children all around the world
· A family friendly work environment
· Highly collaborative and innovative teams
· Generous paid vacation days, holidays, family leave days, and sick time
· Healthcare plans including medical, dental, and life insurance
· Retirement savings account with matching company contributions
· Structured and formalized management development and coaching programs for mid and senior level managers
· Extensive e-learning opportunities on a variety of topics offered through our affiliation with several prestigious as well as language learning opportunities
Save the Children believes every child deserves a future. In the United States and around the world, we give children a healthy start in life, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm. We do whatever it takes for children – every day and in times of crisis – transforming their lives and the future we share.
Save the Children is committed to conducting its programs and operations in a manner that is safe for the children it serves and helping protect the children with whom Save the Children is in contact. All Save the Children representatives are explicitly prohibited from engaging in any activity that may result in any kind of child abuse. In addition, it is Save the Children’s policy to create and proactively maintain an environment that aims to prevent and deter any actions and omissions, whether deliberate or inadvertent, that place children at the risk of any kind of child abuse. All our representatives are expected to conduct themselves in a manner consistent with this commitment and obligation. Any violations of this policy will be treated as a serious issue.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. Save the Children complies with all applicable laws.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.ultipro.com.